Friday, October 23, 2009

Winnability Sucks


Sometime in September I was enterviewed for a news story on Sen. Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III's presidential bid. It was published in Asia Calling that can be read here written by a journalist friend of mine. I mentioned a sentence or two on why I won't go for Noynoy and fearlessly announced why I was very happy to know that Nicanor Perlas will be gunning for the top political post in the country. My thoughts on Perlas and his recent decision appeared in my previous blog post that can also be revisited here. I am not surprised why only words pertaining to Noynoy came out of my Asia Calling enterview. I know that the whole story is about Noynoy,- Kris' elder brother and only son of Ninoy and Cory Aquino, both icons of democracy, and not someone else's. And primarily due to these biological truths, Noynoy Aquino,- they say, is the most winnable candidate for the presidency.

Through thick or thin, better or worse, I will go for Nick Perlas come 2010. He is my candidate. I follow his blog (that can be accessed from the side bar of this blog) and read some his books on various topics, especially elite globalization. I've known him only through his writings. I don't give a damn if he had a nil chance of winning. That is not my problem as a voter. I am leaving this issue to their (candidates') campaign strategists, propagandists, publicists and all the partisan women and men around them. Of course, including the candidates themselves.

All I have to keep in mind as a voter is the platform and character of a candidate and I would not waste my time thoroughly figuring out her or his track record in public service. Indeed, track record is important but not equally important as platform and character. Platform and character goes hand-in-hand in complementation. If a prospective public servant is truly a woman or man of character, he/she will bring out S.M.A.R.T. platform or vision that we believe (s)he can flesh out.

I don't mind people telling me that I just wasting my vote on such candidate. Nor waste my time entertaining such traditional concept brought about by traditional politics and politicians. Besides, I am pretty sure that voting a perceived "non-winnable" candidate is not one of the Seven Deadly Sins! Or considered by my faith as a sin at all. Also, aren't we playing God if we are to declare who is winnable or not? Who are we to declare if a candidate is winnable or not? Leadership in general is all about political programs and character, integrity and credibility. It is certainly beyond winnability.

I am so sick of the media,- local and national, making reports and coverage only on candidates they believe have winnability or those who are in the so-called front lines. Or those belonging to mainstream political groups in Occidental Mindoro like the Dream Team and Performance Team. What frustrates me most is the media's inability to focus on issues and platforms when they report something regarding a candidate or when they are covering election campaigns. Where a complex political event,- like what a prestigious group of journalists have stated, is reduced to a funfare and the most vital institution of democracy, the election, is trivialized. Let us all wake up at put non-trapos to power. For,we, Filipinos have been suffering from this choking reality for so long.

As choking as the longest word in the dictionary : pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis ...

-------
(Photo credit: http://pagodkanaba.blogspot.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment