Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Of Sex Reveal, Aroma del Sol, and Anti-Brownout Rally

 


I was with my whole family, together with my sister-in-law, at Aroma Beach when the Oksi Walang Power Movement holds a rally at the San Jose Municipal Plaza last Saturday, April 15, 2023. We gathered for the sex reveal of my first-ever grandchild who is still in the tummy of my daughter.

Our venue is called Aroma Del Sol Café and it's the coziest watering hole in that area today. They offer delicious food, music, and spirit. It’s a perfect venue for any rendezvous. My son-in-law, who came from a family of food entrepreneurs in Carmona is very much impressed with the menu including the ambiance. True to their catchphrase, Aroma Del Sol Café is truly “your relaxing place under the sun with captivating seascape caressed by the sea breeze.” It is fronting the Tamaraw Sculpture Fountain at the Aroma Board Walk here in San Jose, Occidental Mindoro. I guarantee you, their servings are all mouth-watering.

Take note, I call it “sex-reveal” and not the usual “gender reveal”. Those who are familiar with Gender and Development (GAD) need not be explained why. Well, as we have studied, sex refers to “the different biological and physiological characteristics of males and females, such as reproductive organs, chromosomes, hormones, etc.” In short, sex is permanent.

Gender on the other hand refers to "the socially constructed characteristics of women and men – such as norms, roles and relationships of and between groups of women and men. Not even the most advanced CT scanning machine nor MRI technology could reveal or tell the gender of the child in his or her mother’s womb. If it is socially constructed, gender, therefore, is not permanent.

Ergo, sex, and gender are not interchangeable. They are not the same. But “gender” or “sex”, all we want is to have the baby arrive safely and our beloved Anawim in good health.

The day when the vice governor is being interviewed by broadcast journalist Mariboy A. Ysibido over 102.5 Care FM and reacting to the previous interview with the president of the OMECO Board, the expectant mother, my middle child, went to E. Asuncion Medical and Diagnostic Center for an ultra-sound scan. That was only last week.

While the anti-brownout mass action at the plaza is unfolding, we sat in the pre-baby celebration like what the Americans do. The little cake takes the invisible center stage and limelight on the café’s dining table surrounded by different drinks and dishes. The feeling of surprise dwells in our hearts

My youngest told me that such a reveal is a trend in pre-baby parties today even in our country. It’s a sensational hit for every “my day” on social media. She pointed to me that the cake contains a blue or pink filling or icing inside which will reveal the sex (or gender if you truly wish) of the baby.

Immediately after my wife said graces, Aldie, the future father, called the waitress and asked for a knife. He sliced the little mocha-colored cake from its red box. The moment he drew the knife from the pastry, a tint of pink stained the blade.

It’s a girl!

At that little corner of the Aroma Del Sol Café, we cheered and grin at each other. We celebrated because just four months from now, a darling baby girl will add life and meaning to each of our lives as a family.

“Can I suggest a name?” I broke the merriment. Suddenly, a group of youngsters entered the café. They are wearing white T-shirts. I assume that they came from the anti-brownout rally held at the town proper that night.

Thinking of combining the charm and beauty of Lady Di and the wit and wisdom of Mrs. Roosevelt, the First Lady, I jokingly blurted out, “How about Diana Eleanor?”

They all yowled in disagreement and threw angry stares at me.

Whatever will be her name, I might lovingly call her Gagay.

No comments:

Post a Comment